Nov 8, 2010

Starting to Write from a Quote

All what I know, any people can write, but not all of them can write in good writing. Including me, I also don't have any basic skill in writing. However these days circumstances around me encourage me to write a lot. In the class,  I have many assignments related to writing, such as writing for classroom observation report, making a blog, etc. The goal of why my lecturers support students to write is the students can create some writing products of such as journals or books.

Talking about writing, I remember about my Writing Class in the first three months of my study in International Master Program on Mathematics Education (IMPoME). Although I just had some meeting in that class, this intensive English Course is useful for me. In that class I got some theories how to write some kinds of writings. The students in that class was given some examples of writings made by expert writers, so I and my friends could learn how to write in good way. We not only got material about theory how to write, but also we practiced to write. Sometimes we was given certain topic, and each of students had to write his own writing, other time we was ordered to write in free topic. In addition my lecturer in Writing Class ordered us to make a blog and write anything everyday. We could write our experiences, gave opinion toward news, movie, song,  and any other topics. 

Now, I realize that all what I got from my Writing Class during Intensive English Course in the beginning of my study are useful for me especially in improving my skill writing and my English. It is different from what I thought that to write was difficult. We can start to write from anything that we like. For me, because I like to write anything related to Islam, in my Writing Class when I had task to write in free topic, usually I chose topics related to thoughts from Islam. The more we like something and know more about it, the more we can explore our ideas to write it down.
Here I want to share one of my simple writings when I had a task to write a paragraph from a quote. Before this I didn't care that from a quote could be a topic to write. The task was my classmates and I had to chose  one quote from 5 available quotes, and then we had to write a paragraph using a quotes we chose. Here is the task:
Write a paragraph of your choice. Choose one of these Quotable Quotes taken from Reader's Digest December 1985:
1. Victory is not in miles but in inches. Win a little now, hold your ground, and later win a little more. (Louis L'Amour)
2. A woman's best accessory is a well-dressed man. (Albert Capraro)
3. Memory is like a child walking along a sea shore. You never can tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things (Pierce Harris)
4. If you don't laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old. (Ed Howe)
5. “There is no short cut to life. To end of our days, life is a lesson imperfectly learned” (Harrison E. Salisbury)

From the quotes above, one quote that I chose was the last quote. Below is a paragraph I made from that quote:

"Life is not always easy as what we want. There are some hard circumstances in our life that we have to face. When we face such conditions, we might think that life was so hard. Sometimes these made us sad, even for some people these made them desperate. Surely, as muslims, if we understood the essence of this life, we would think that all of these are parts of trials from Allah.  Allah will try us with difficulty and easy, with happiness and misery, with something we want or not, etc. All of these will be given until we die to prove how our faith to Allah is. Indeed, sometimes we just can’t understand this matter clearly when we meet so difficult period in our life. No matter what happen we should believe that all of these will make sense someday, someway. This is life that we have to face. Everything that happens in our life is something that we can always learn from it. As a quote state s that “There is no short cut to life. To end of our days, life is a lesson imperfectly learned” (Harrison E. Salisbury). Besides it, we should always remember that Allah will never give burden for us that we can’t bear it"

My lecturer in the Writing Class gave comments toward the students' writings, including mine. His comment for my writing above that was written down under the paragraph in my paper was: excellent, logical, and good organization. 
:D thank you sir... I know u gave comment like that to support me keep on writing... ;) However well! your comment really encourages me to keep on writing and write other better writings. Btw, I like your Writing Class and the way you taught me how to write, sir... :) although you don't know this ^_ One sentence I got from my Writing Class that till now support me to keep writing is "THE MORE YOU PRACTICE..., THE BETTER YOU BECOME..." Yups!!! I have proven that this sentence is TRUE :)

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...